The Greater Wichita Area Sports Commission is a non-profit 501(c)(6) organization.
We are proud of our Prairie Fire Race Series and are excited to see the event grow each year. Additionally, we are doing our best to create the best race experience possible for our participants. With our success we have been able to bring a lot to the City of Wichita. The event has brought neighbors, family and friends together in a way that woudn't be possible if it weren't for our event. We have generated revenue for our local businesses. We have also given back to our local charities and will continue to do these amazing things for our city.
We provide the following to each participant:
- We give each person two t-shirts at a cost of about $7.50 each for the fall races and for the spring races.
- We provide water and Gatorade for all runners.
- We provide food after the races for each runner.
- We purchase awards and medals.
- We provide security and police for the race.
- We provide Gu for each marathon runner.
- We have costs for the setup and teardown: tents, transportation, volunteer t-shirts, entertainment, signage, supplies, insurance, fencing, announcer fees, port-a-potties, runner bibs, bib tags, timing personnel & timing equipment.
- These costs do not include any salaries.
- We actually lose money on the 5K, Youth Run and Fun Run/Walk, but are able to balance out with sponsorships and the half & full races. These races are also developing new runners for the future.
- Compared to races in other cities and states our fees are very reasonably priced.
Also, because of sponsorships and community support, we were able to donate a total of $100,000 to charity since our Inaugural Prairie Fire Marathon event in 2010. We donated $15,000 to the Via Christi Burn Center, $5,000 to the Leukemia Lymphoma Society plus smaller amounts to other organizations who supported our event.
For volunteer groups that donate their time we make a $10 donation per volunteer to their respective charity/organization.
This year’s spring races will benefit the Children’s Miracle Network as well as other charities.
We also loan and share many of our assets and equipment for other charitable races, such as Girls on the Run, Newman University Gladiator Run, River Run etc.
We have also spent nearly $600,000 in direct spending in the local Wichita community for expenses such as shirts, police, food, security, barricades & cones, hotel rooms, drinks, marketing, signage, printing, awards, timing, port-a-potties, entertainment, fees and applications and many other expenses.
We appreciate each person who either runs, jogs, walks, or donates their time to volunteer for our races. With the help of the City of Wichita and the amazing people who live here, we have the ability to showcase our city and hospitality to thousands of runners from across the country. We invite everyone to come experience our growing event!